Sunday, August 11, 2013

Illustration Friday - FRESH

"It will probably be a long time before men can make anything that is quite as good for you as real sunshine and fresh air."
- The Healthy Life Series, 1940

This week's prompt at Illustration Friday is FRESH.  Thought I'd veer away from the girls for a little something different.
I've started a new art journal in an old book - Kim is a huge fan of ephemera and old things and started me on my own love of crusty items that could use some more love.
It is easy to turn an old book into an art journal by simply gluing several pages together with a glue stick and then coating with gesso.  Now that it is back to school time you can pick up gobs of gluesticks at bargain prices. 
This book can sit on the shelf and no one is the wiser as to its true contents unless I want to share with them.  Despite the fact that I share on this blog I am actually very reticent to show my stuff to the people in my everyday life (except for my immediate family) and very few people even know that I dabble in paint regularly. 
Linking to 

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Love the quote Michelle - how true and I also love this journal page. it is refreshing to see some pages that don't have a zillion things on them!!
Sandy

Jez said...

I like the way you have 'rested' the spray of leaves on a bed of white and then brown to focus attention on it - the dots add just that little something extra to give it oomph. The simplicity of the whole image is so satisfying, and I agree with Sandy that it's lovely to enjoy the clarity of the image. Your quotation is so true and fits the page well.
The idea of leaving the book cover intact so that it hides on the bookshelf is fun.

veronica said...

cool idea for the art journal within another book.
i love your leaves!

sarah said...

Thank you for posting this. I tried to create my own version of your journal page and I think mine actually came out half way decent! Thank you for the inspiration!

Sarah
sfarrell24 at yahoo.com

Monique said...

Love your journal page, the soft colors and the shape of the leaves. The quote is fabulous. I also very much like the idea of the hidden content of the book.
xx Monique

Kismet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Brack said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love this spread (and the tutorial). The doodling on the leaves are the perfect touch.

pauline said...

OMG Michelle... first of all, HELLO! and secondly, i LOVE THIS!! So fresh, so different, so free... you amaze me. i love how you dare to go wherever your heart (or art) wants to take you. i wanted to comment on so many of your posts, but this one just made my heart happy. xox